db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Clifton B. Sothoron Jr." <Clifton.Sothoro...@LogiXML.com>
Subject RE: Embedded Derby multi-user
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:11:28 GMT
Kristian,
Thanks for replying. I'm using Derby 10.5. There is no derby.log.  I'm
using one JVM using the embedded driver. I've seen it fail while going
through the resultset and during connect. The error that occurs during
resultset processing is "Java exception: ':
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.ShutdownException".  I did not put in any
shutdown commands. I can reproduce this problem at will.  It seems that
inserts are locking out other attempts to query.  Does closing the
connection shutdown the database?
Best,
		Clif...

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristian Waagan [mailto:Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:39 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Embedded Derby multi-user

Clifton B. Sothoron Jr. wrote:

> I'm creating an application which receives various requests to insert,

> update and query an Embedded Derby database. It works properly except
> when one request does a lot of inserts. During this time query
> requests are blocked. I get the message edules' not found. ---
> "org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedSQLException: Database
> 'C:\rdScheduler\Schedules' not found." Once the inserts are done then
> queries work. I've been rooting around the derby.properties
> documentation. It isn't clear to me how to use this file to configure
> Derby to allow concurrent access. How is this done?

Hello Clifton,

Derby allows concurrent access by default, by using multiple connections

to the database. Note that only one JVM can have the database booted at
a time. If you need to access the database concurrently from several
JVMs, you have to use the network server.

The message you posted indicates that the database you are trying to
connect to doesn't exist. Is there anything else printed to your logs,
or maybe in the file derby.log?

Just so we're on the same page here;
- Are you accessing the database with several connections from a single
JVM, using the embedded driver?
- Are you sure you are not trying to boot the same database from
different JVMs?
- Where in your application does the error occur; during connect or
during processing?
- Which version of Derby are you using?

The answers to these questions may bring us closer to finding the
problem. Also, please post the stack trace for the error if you have it
available.

Regards,
--
Kristian