db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.5.1.1 regression
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:15:20 GMT
I never see the XJ001 logged, thought it appears to travel over the wire
(looking at the DRDA trace) to the client.  With respect to the CLOB columns
and how they are set, that's a good question.  I am using Hibernate so the
SQL (at least how the parameters are set) is opaque to me.   The object has
JPA annotations as follows:

    @Column(name = "error")
    private String error;

    @Lob
    @Column(name = "grid_data", length = Integer.MAX_VALUE)
    private String gridData;

    @Lob
    @Column(name = "details", length = Integer.MAX_VALUE)
    private String details;

A sharp DRDA trace reader may be able to glean how it is set.  In fact,
looking at the DRDA with my untrained eye, I would say it is via setString()
as I would assume there would be decoration/fanfare on the wire associated
with a streamed object.  But as I said, I'm not a DRDA-savvy guy.  Note the
length properties are only taken as hints to Hibernate that the underlying
object is a CLOB and not a VARCHAR, whether it decides to use setString() or
setCharacterStream() based on that I don't know.

-Brett