db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Embedded Derby multi-user
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:40:39 GMT
Clifton B. Sothoron Jr. wrote:
> Kristian,
> Thanks for replying. I'm using Derby 10.5. There is no derby.log.

Hi again,

There should be a derby.log. If nothing special has been done, it should
be in the current working directory of your application / application
server / shell / whatever when it starts.
Can you try to search for a file called 'derby.log' on your system?

> I'm
> using one JVM using the embedded driver. I've seen it fail while going
> through the resultset and during connect. The error that occurs during
> resultset processing is "Java exception: ':
> org.apache.derby.iapi.error.ShutdownException".  I did not put in any
> shutdown commands. I can reproduce this problem at will.

Don't get me wrong, but that's a good thing :) Means we can get this
fixed when we figure out what's going on.

> It seems that
> inserts are locking out other attempts to query.  Does closing the
> connection shutdown the database?

No, to shut down the database you have to connect again (either with the
DriverManager or a DataSource) and specify the shutdown attribute
(";shutdown=true").

Can you give some more details about other database related software you
are using, and how the connections are created?
Your database is located on a local disk, right? Keeping the disk on
something like NFS may cause strange things to happen.
Also, calling Thread.interrupt() is known to cause issues.

It may help us if you set the following system properties when you start
your application, and report what's written to derby.log;
 -D/derby.infolog.append=true
 -Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0
 -Dderby.language.logStatementText=true

(note: if your data is confidential, you may want to avoid logging the
statement text)

As an alternative, you could also try to use the client driver and see
what happens there, but this requires that you set up the server of course.

Regards,
--
Kristian

/