db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: deleting database
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:10:43 GMT
Hi Sridhar,

There is no Derby command for deleting a database. A database is simply
a directory of files--if you want to delete it, you just use operating
system commands to remove the directory. In your case, you would be
deleting the sampleDB directory.

You also asked a question about schemas, which I didn't understand.
Forgive me if I am talking past your question: You can use the CREATE
SCHEMA command to create schemas other than sys and app. If you use an
authentication mechanism to control who logs into the database and if
you turn on fine-grained SQL access checks, you can control who is able
to read and write the data in the schema which you created. For more
information, you may want to consult the security documentation in the
Derby Developer's guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/devguide-single.html#cdevcsecuree

Hope this helps,
-Rick