db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Derby replication seems to be mostly useless
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:03:08 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

> No, that should not matter unless there is a bug somewhere. Maybe we
> can best untangle these issues if you can provide a repro?

OK, I've replicated this from the command-line.  Here are the steps I used:

1. Copy the database from the master to the slave, with the master shut
down.

2. Start the database server on the slave:

$ export CLASSPATH=/opt/db-derby/lib/derbyrun.jar
$ cd /tmp/auth
$ java org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start -h bleaklow -p
1527 -noSecurityManager
2009-07-08 13:31:46.286 GMT : Apache Derby Network Server - 10.5.1.1 -
(764942) started and ready to accept connections on port 1527

3. Start ij on the master and try to start the slave database in
startSlave mode:

ij> connect
'jdbc:derby://bleaklow/opensolaris;user=auth;password=CHANGEME;securityMechanism=8;startSlave=true';
ERROR XRE09: DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XRE09, SQLERRMC:
Cannot start replication slave mode for database 'opensolaris'. The
database has already been booted.

I thought that perhaps the problem was that I was trying to put the
slave DB into startSlave mode from a different machine to the one that
the slave server was running on, so I tried opening up the closed DB on
the master in startSlave mode and got an identical result:

$ java org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start -h fire -p 1528
-noSecurityManager
2009-07-08 13:53:04.557 GMT : Apache Derby Network Server - 10.5.1.1 -
(764942) started and ready to accept connections on port 1528

ij> connect
'jdbc:derby://fire/opensolaris;user=auth;password=CHANGEME;securityMechanism=8;startSlave=true';
ERROR XRE09: DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XRE09, SQLERRMC:
Cannot start replication slave mode for database 'opensolaris'. The
database has already been booted.

I also tried switching everything to localhost, as in the example script:

> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost/opensolaris;user=auth;password=CHANGEME;securityMechanism=8;startSlave=true';
> ERROR XRE09: DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XRE09, SQLERRMC: Cannot start replication
slave mode for database 'opensolaris'. The database has already been booted

So whatever the problem is, it seems to be to so with the contents of
the particular database that I'm trying to replicate.  I can provide a
copy to anyone that wants to dig - it is a small (3.6Mb) test datbase
with just dummy data in it.

--
Alan Burlison