db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Checking if a db is open without actually opening it
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:22:23 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> I am not very familiar with replication, but in the general case, this
> often happens because the copy is not done with the same operating
> system user as the subsequent boot or if the permissions are not
> preserved on the files.  Even if the lck file is there, I think things
> should boot ok as long as the permissions for derby to remove the lck
> file are sufficient when Derby boots.

Same OS, same user, same perms.  I think perhaps I don't have the
connect parameters quite right - I was supplying a username/password as
well as startSlave.

I'm now struggling with getting the slave to shut down cleanly, that
goddam AntiGC thread refuses to die, sigh...

If I had one major criticism of Derby it would be of the admin areas -
database & server startup/shutdown, and replication.  Trying to get it
to work reliably under SMF on Solaris is a royal pain.

--
Alan Burlison