db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Checking if a db is open without actually opening it
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 14:19:35 GMT
Alan Burlison wrote:

> On a slightly related note, I'm struggling to get replication to work,
> getting an error when I start up the slave:
>
> DERBY SQL error: SQLCODE: -1, SQLSTATE: XRE09, SQLERRMC: Cannot start
> replication slave mode for database 'opensolaris'. The database has
> already been booted. [XRE09]
>
> It hasn't - I started the slave with no database directory at all, so
> there is no way it could be locked.  I think this error is because I'm
> copying everything under the database directory from the master to the
> slave, and that includes the lock files.  The replication documents
> just say to freeze the master and then 'Copy the database to the slave
> location', I think they need to be more explicit about exactly what
> files need to be copied from the master to the slave.

I am not very familiar with replication, but in the general case, this
often happens because the copy is not done with the same operating
system user as the subsequent boot or if the permissions are not
preserved on the files.  Even if the lck file is there, I think things
should boot ok as long as the permissions for derby to remove the lck
file are sufficient when Derby boots.

Kathey