Hi David,

I would recommend this tutorial if you are using Netbeans.
http://www.netbeans.org/kb/docs/ide/java-db.html

I think you maybe be missing the toursdb demo directory as I don't recall it being bundled with the appserver.

What you could do is download a more recent version  (10.5.1.1) of Java DB directly from the Java DB portal to use instead of 10.2.2.1 which is an old release - toursdb will definitely be in there.
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/downloads/index.jsp

If you are using netbeans, you can verify if derby.jar is added a part of your project classpath / library - check under your project's properties (libraries category)

Cheers

--francois