db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: db link / VIEWS
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:59:09 GMT
Danny Mwiinga <danny.mwiinga@emunioconsulting.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>

> I have two separate derby databases on the same machine and on one of
> them, I only have read rights while I have all rights on the other. Is
> it at all possible for me to create either a database link between the
> two so that I can query one of the databases or is it possible for me
> create VIEWS on the db where I have all the rights so that I can query
> the db where I only have read rights?

Yes, you can use Table functions for this purpose. Cf example here:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/cdevspecialtfexample.html

Using this you can perform queries againt the database you do have
write access to, as well as against the additional one, and even do
joins between the two.

See also
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/cdevspecialtabfuncs.html

Dag