db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Replication question: docs not clear
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:07:22 GMT
Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@Sun.COM> writes:

> Alan Burlison wrote:
>
>> We are trying to automate the startup process for getting
>> replication running, and the docs are really unclear on if the slave
>> database *instance* can be running whilst the datafile copy is done,
>> or if it is just necessary to shut down the *database* that is being
>> replicated on the slave.
>
> Sorry, that wasn't entirely clear.  The question is which of these two
> scenarios is correct:
>
> 1. Slave Derby server instance running
> 2. Database to be replicated is closed on the slave
> 3. Database data files copied from the master
> 3. Slave database reopened
>
> or
>
> 1. Slave Derby server instance shut down
> 3. Database data files copied from the master
> 3. Slave Derby server instance restarted
> 4. Slave database reopened

Hi Alan,

Both of those scenarios should work. Whether or not the server is
running while the database is copied doesn't really matter, but the
database itself must not be booted.

By the way, there is a documentation request that describes a slightly
easier procedure to start replication. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4196. I don't know if it is
relevant in your setup, but I thought I'd mention it in case it could
simplify things.

--
Knut Anders