db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Replication question: docs not clear
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:53:02 GMT
Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@Sun.COM> writes:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>
>> Both of those scenarios should work. Whether or not the server is
>> running while the database is copied doesn't really matter, but the
>> database itself must not be booted.
>
> OK, thanks.  Most other databases I've used would get a bit confused
> if you started fiddling with the contents of their data file
> directories while they were running, it might be worth noting in the
> docs that this is OK for Derby.
>
>> By the way, there is a documentation request that describes a slightly
>> easier procedure to start replication. See
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4196. I don't know if it is
>> relevant in your setup, but I thought I'd mention it in case it could
>> simplify things.
>
> Yes, it probably is relevant.  I assume that if you start the master
> database with startMaster=true it locks the database until the client
> is running, or do you have to manually make sure no clients connect
> until after the slave is up and running?

You'd use startMaster=true after you have started the slave, so you
still need to do something (like stopping the server) to prevent clients
from connecting while copying to the slave. I think you'll get a
connection refused exception if you start the master before the slave.

Having a way to start the master and have it block clients until it is
able to reach the slave sounds like a useful improvement, though.

--
Knut Anders