db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE versus SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_UPDATE_STATISTICS
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:28:36 GMT
Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@Sun.COM> writes:

> Does SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE recalculate statistics,
> or is it necessary to do a SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_UPDATE_STATISTICS as well?
> The docs are unclear.

Hi Alan,

As far as I can see, SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE does not update the
index statistics. I couldn't find anything in the in-place compress code
that attempted to update the statistics, and it didn't appear to have
updated them when I monitored the CREATIONTIMESTAMP column in
SYS.SYSSTATISTICS.

I think much of the documentation about index statistics was written
before in-place compress was implemented, which is probably why the docs
are unclear. Could you please file a JIRA issue and point to the
sections that you found unclear? Thanks.

--
Knut Anders