db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hard upgrade failing?
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:10:40 GMT
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:
> Evan Leonard wrote:
>>
>> Hello Derby Users,
>>
>> I have a question regarding hard-upgrading.  I'm trying to upgrade a
>> database from 10.1 to 10.5.  I'm connecting using 10.5 (see sysinfo
>> output below) using the ";upgrade=true" connection option. However
>> after doing so I still see "10.1" being returned from this query:
>>
>> values syscs_util.syscs_get_database_property( 'DataDictionaryVersion' )
>>
>> Its as though the hard upgrade isn't upgrading at all, as far as I can
>> tell. I don't have any error output in the console. Is there somewhere
>> additional I should be looking for debug information?
>
> Hi Evan,
>
> Just out of curiosity, what happens if you try to boot the database with
> 10.1 after the upgrade attempt?
>
> Another thing you could try is to go via an intermediate version, say 10.3,
> and upgrade the database in two steps.
> I'm too tired to look up our upgrade policies right now, but I encourage
> others on the list to pitch in with information and/or recommendations on
> how to proceed with this issue :)
>

> Regards,
> --
> Kristian
>

>> Thank you

This is puzzling. I did a very simple experiment;
- connect with ij with 10.1 jars in my classpath and created a db
   ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:tstdb;create=true';
- connect with upgrade with 10.5 jars in my classpath
   ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:tstdb;upgrade=true';
- with my 10.5 jars in the classpath, issue the query you mentioned:
   ij> values syscs_util.syscs_get_database_property( 'DataDictionaryVersion' );
   1
   ------------------------------------------------ (etc...)
   10.5

Perhaps you won't mind doing the same experiment to verify it works
for you this way?

Then, well, perhaps there was a simple mistake in your upgrade step?
I assume you made a copy of your db before the upgrade; so try it
again, (with a fresh copy), this time catching extra info in your
derby.log. You can do this by creating a derby.properties file in the
dir where you start derby, and adding the following to it:
    derby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0
    derby.infolog.append=true
    derby.language.logStatementText=true
This should catch all activity and give more details about any
possible warnings.

Apart from this, I can only theorize - perhaps a simple typo? Or
perhaps your 'upgrade=true' connection was not the first connection to
the db with 10.5 jars?
Once you're connected via soft upgrade, you cannot simply do a hard
upgrade; but you'd get an error if this is what happened...("URL
Attribute [update=true] Attribute is unknown to Derby").

HTH
Myrna