db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ron Olson <tachokni...@gmail.com>
Subject Multiple instances of an application using same embedded database?
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 20:51:33 GMT
Hi all-

I am writing an application that uses embedded Derby for holding data
that the application collects/creates. It works great, I really like
Derby.

But, there's a problem: multiple application instances. The
application can be launched multiple times and each instance can
potentially create and retrieve data that would be stored/queried from
Derby. The problem is that the second instance fails to run correctly
because the database is locked by the first instance of the
application.

I can't create a Derby server, the application must be zero-setup and
zero-config; the application handles initial database creation, making
the tables, etc.

I've looked and there doesn't seem to be any info on this. Is this
even possible? If not, might anyone know what I might be able to use?
The original version of the program used SQLite, which keeps the
database in the single file. This was nice, but there isn't a pure
Java way to get at a SQLite db, and besides, I like the additional
functionality Derby gives me.

Thanks for any info,

Tacho