db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Donald McLean <dmclea...@gmail.com>
Subject Overhead for varchar and clob
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:50:48 GMT
I'm working on something where I need to store strings of
indeterminate length and I'm curious about the difference in storage
costs for varchar vs clob. I'm not going to make my decision based on
the difference - disk space is too cheap for it to be that big of a
deal, but I don't like making decisions without better information.

If some kind soul who is familiar with the inner workings of these two
types could talk about them a bit, I would be grateful.

Donald
Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.