db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Replication question: docs not clear
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:20:33 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> Both of those scenarios should work. Whether or not the server is
> running while the database is copied doesn't really matter, but the
> database itself must not be booted.

OK, thanks.  Most other databases I've used would get a bit confused if
you started fiddling with the contents of their data file directories
while they were running, it might be worth noting in the docs that this
is OK for Derby.

> By the way, there is a documentation request that describes a slightly
> easier procedure to start replication. See
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4196. I don't know if it is
> relevant in your setup, but I thought I'd mention it in case it could
> simplify things.

Yes, it probably is relevant.  I assume that if you start the master
database with startMaster=true it locks the database until the client is
running, or do you have to manually make sure no clients connect until
after the slave is up and running?

--
Alan Burlison