db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Not able to create encrypted database
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:31:16 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Cuong wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I know this thread is a while old now, but I seem to be having the same
>> issues.
>> Can you tell me if you ever resolved this problem and whether you have
>> managed to get an encrypted derby db working for J9?
> There is a comment in our tests:
> // Encryption only supported for Derby in J2SE/J2EE environments.
>        // J2ME (JSR169) does not support encryption.
> and then the encryption tests are skipped.  My theory always is that
> if it is not tested, it doesn't exist.
> I don't immediately see this (or any of the other J2ME restrictions)
> documented in a comprehensive way. Perhaps I am just missing
> something.  Maybe a description of the restrictions should be listed
> under http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevstart18978.html
> Do we need a new issue to list the restrictions or am I just missing
> something?
Kim recently added some useful documentation on the limitations of
Derby's support for small devices:
As you can see, we do not claim to support encrypted databases on small

However, the limitation isn't in Derby. It's just that the encryption
libraries aren't a standard part of the CDC/FP 1.1 platform. Most of the
small device limitations listed in the Reference Guide can be lifted by
that, by wiring encryption libraries into the classpath, some people
have gotten encryption to work on Derby databases on small devices. Of
course, as you note, we don't test these combinations so there may be
some gotchas out there.

> If you think that J2ME/J9  has enough encryption support that we could
> get this to work with some development effort please file an
> improvement request in Jira.
> http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html
> Then if you would like to join the development community to implement
> it, I am sure you will find lots of support there in doing so,
> providing there is not some insurmountable technical obstacle.
> Kathey

View raw message