db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Not able to create encrypted database
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:08:41 GMT
Cuong wrote:
> Hi,
> I know this thread is a while old now, but I seem to be having the same
> issues.
> Can you tell me if you ever resolved this problem and whether you have
> managed to get an encrypted derby db working for J9?

There is a comment in our tests:
 // Encryption only supported for Derby in J2SE/J2EE environments.
        // J2ME (JSR169) does not support encryption.
and then the encryption tests are skipped.  My theory always is that if
it is not tested, it doesn't exist.

I don't immediately see this (or any of the other J2ME restrictions)
documented in a comprehensive way. Perhaps I am just missing something.
Maybe a description of the restrictions should be listed under
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevstart18978.html
Do we need a new issue to list the restrictions or am I just missing
something?

If you think that J2ME/J9  has enough encryption support that we could
get this to work with some development effort please file an improvement
request in Jira.
http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html

Then if you would like to join the development community to implement
it, I am sure you will find lots of support there in doing so, providing
there is not some insurmountable technical obstacle.

Kathey