db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE versus SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_UPDATE_STATISTICS
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:07:29 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> As far as I can see, SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE does not update the
> index statistics. I couldn't find anything in the in-place compress code
> that attempted to update the statistics, and it didn't appear to have
> updated them when I monitored the CREATIONTIMESTAMP column in
> SYS.SYSSTATISTICS.
>
> I think much of the documentation about index statistics was written
> before in-place compress was implemented, which is probably why the docs
> are unclear. Could you please file a JIRA issue and point to the
> sections that you found unclear? Thanks.

Hmm just noticed this in the docs for the related
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE procedure:

"The SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE system procedure updates statistics
on all indexes as part of the index rebuilding process."

But no mention of that (either way) for
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE

--
Alan Burlison