db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: db link / VIEWS
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:51:28 GMT
Hi Danny,

I may not be understanding your question, so please bear with me. If
what you need to do is read data from database B while you are connected
to database A, then you can use a view wrapped around a table function.
The table function would open a connection to database B and run a query
there. The view would make it simple to invoke the table function. Table
functions are discussed here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/devguide/devguide-single.html#cdevspecialtabfuncs
Also, see the following white paper, which goes into greater detail and
shows you how to wrap a view around a table function in order to
simplify your SQL:
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/reference/whitepapers/index.jsp

Hope this helps,
-Rick