db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Inserting into BLOB field
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 15:20:06 GMT
Often these coercion problems can be finessed by writing your own cast
function. You might try the following:

1) Write a public static method which takes a String argument and
returns a java.sql.Blob value.

2) Register that method as a Derby function which takes a VARCHAR
argument and returns a BLOB.

3) Then use the function to coerce string values to Blobs in your insert
statements.

Here's some code which shows how to do this. First the static method:

import java.sql.Blob;
import org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.StringColumnVTI;

public class z
{
    public static Blob makeBlob( String seed )
    {
        return new StringColumnVTI.SimpleBlob( seed.getBytes() );
    }
}

Then a little ij script which exercises the function:

connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:dummy;create=true';

create function makeBlob( seed varchar( 32672 ) )
returns blob
language java
parameter style java
no sql
external name 'z.makeBlob';

create table t( a blob );

insert into t( a ) values ( makeBlob( 'xyz' ) );

select * from t;

Hope this helps,
-Rick