db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Hard upgrade failing?
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 20:37:47 GMT
Evan Leonard wrote:

> I agree that the requirement to have "upgrade=true" be on the first
> connection to a db be added to the documentation. Perhaps also include
> this trick about shutting down the db first to be able to upgrade the
> db in a single jvm instance that's already been connected to the db.

I filed three Jira Issues as the result of this thread.
DERBY-4253 - documentation should indicate that a database cannot be
upgraded if already booted in soft upgrade mode
DERBY-4254 - If upgrade is not performed when connecting with the
upgrade=true attribute specified, Derby should produce a warning
DERBY-4255 - DatabaseMetaData getDatabaseMajorVersion() and
getDatabaseMinorVersion() return software version rather than database
version

I was going to suggest you use the DatabaseMetaData methods instead of
the undocumented property, but found they didn't work. #:(

Thank you Evan for the useful input.

Kathey