db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jim Crowell <JimCrow...@EMail.com>
Subject Parsing Table columns?
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:22:27 GMT

Hi,
I have just installed Derby into my Java stand alone application. I have a
table design question.

Lets say I have a table that consist of a primary key and 26 columns [A, B,
,,,Z].

With SQL statements I can select individual columns into a result-set and
judicially insert new rows or replace the values in selected row / cols.

Question:
Are there any guideline articles or books that will help me in designing my
tables?

For example, for the above table, I may do the majority of the run-time
processing on columns A, B and C. Should I place the primary key and columns
A, B and C in an individual table and maintain a second table with the
primary key and columns D ... Z. Or am I over thinking this too much.

Note that my Java stand alone application is form centric and I think the
Derby  access time is not all that critical since there will be a lot of
data entry processing that will mask any SQL time inefficiencies.

As you can perhaps tell, I am new to Database implementation and want to do
this initial design properly.

-----
Regards,
Jim...