db-derby-user mailing list archives

From cmathrusse <Christopher.Mathru...@sybase.com>
Subject Re: Inserting into BLOB field
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:01:07 GMT

I had read that post prior and it would require me converting the text that I
am attempting to insert, an xslt file, into a hex representation. Only then
could I attempt to do this. I did actually attempt this. (not very friendly)
I did convert the contents of my file into a hex representation and
attempted the insert by performing a CAST( X'text content' AS BLOB), but it
complained when I executed the SQL. While this would be a viable approach, I
think you would agree that this is far from desirable.

What would be optimal would be the ability to have Derby allow inserts of
TEXT into BLOB fields. I know that this is how Sybase ASE operates, (Yes, I
know Derby is not ASE) and I don't know if this is ANSI standard, but it
sure makes life less complicated.