Hi Nicola,

Here is an example of hibernate configuration file that operates in embedded more:
http://indiwiz.com/2009/01/05/unit-testing-hibernate-code-with-derby/

Are you setting the Hibernate 'hbm2ddl.auto' config property at all?

Once your schema is created and if you had
'hbm2ddl.auto=create-drop', you should set Hibernate 'hbm2ddl.auto' config property to 'create' and issue a connection using 'IJ' like in the example above.

Note that once the database has been created with its schemas, etc, you can remove the ';create=true' on Hibernate's JDBC connection URL (
hibernate.connection.url)....

Hope this helps.

--francois