db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Showstopper bug in 10.5.1.1?
Date Sun, 24 May 2009 17:05:36 GMT
tsvetozar ---- <tsvetozar@email.bg> writes:

> sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to test it some more. here is the stack
> trace I am getting:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
[...]
> the query is a simple SELECT * from ... with an order by on an index. there
> are 2 clob, 2 blob, 1 long varchar and a few more varchar(with-limit) fields
> in table.

Thanks, I'm able to reproduce this problem and have filed a bug report:

By the way, you mentioned that the ORDER BY was on an index, but the
stack trace indicates that the index is not used (the NPE is thrown
while sorting the result, but no sorting should be performed if the
index is used for ordering). You may want to check that you actually
have an index on the ORDER BY column and that the index has the same
ordering as specified by the ORDER BY clause. For instance, an ascending
index on column X cannot be used to order the result descending by
column X.

--
Knut Anders