db-derby-user mailing list archives

From o...@me.com
Subject Network encryption and authentication with SSL/TLS
Date Sun, 17 May 2009 22:34:29 GMT
Dear Derby Users

Can anyone help me with the following:

I have a derby network server install on a virtual private server machine.

When the server is started in this fashion:

RUNCOMMAND="bin/startNetworkServer -h 0.0.0.0"

I can connect, insert, delete and query my database.

However, when the server is started using this command:

RUNCOMMAND="bin/startNetworkServer -h 0.0.0.0 -ssl peerAuthentication"

I am not able to connect to access my database, and I am forever getting a 08001 error.

I am using this code:

System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStore","clientKeyStore.key");
System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword","abc");
String s = "jdbc:derby://domainName.com:1527/db;ssl=basic";
Class.forName(org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver).newInstance();
Connection c = DriverManager.getConnection(s);

When I try to ping the server I get the following error:

Invalid reply header from network server: Invalid string. Plaintext connection attempt to
an SSL enabled server?

Could someone please explain why I cannot connect when the server does the authentication?

Thanks
Steve