db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: syscs_compress_table deadlock
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 16:28:50 GMT
Is there any chance you can post a reproducible test case?  The part of
this I am having a hard time understanding is that somehow the
transaction which is doing the inserts has gotten a table level read
lock on SYSCONGLOMERATES, as indicated by the following line from the
error:
Granted XID : {27040324, IS} , {27043904, S} , {27043904, IS} ,
 > {27058697, S}

Transaction 27043904 has a S (shared) table lock on SYSCONGLOMERATES
which is a system table.  The key is figuring out how that happened.
Compress is doing row locking as indicated by it requesting a (IX),
intended share table lock.

Any chance the inserting threads are either doing direct queries on
SYSCONGLOMERATES or doing database metadata queries?  Setting
derby.language.logStatementText=true may help track down what the
insert threads are doing to get this unexpected lock.  It is probably
prudent to commit after any database metadata query to release any locks
which may have been requested on system catalogs unless you require that
info for a consistent transaction.

Also search the documentation for derby.locks.monitor=true for ways to
get the system to print more information when it gets a deadlock.