db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Problems create SQL Function
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 11:49:22 GMT
dacia wrote:
> Hi Kristian
>
> I tried this:
>
> java code:
> public class DateFunctions {
>
>   public static java.util.Date getDate(long instant) {
>       return new java.util.Date(instant);
>   }
> }
>
> in ij:
> ij>call sqlj.install_jar('DateFunctions.jar','DateFunctions',0);
> Statement executed.
> ij> create function getDate(timeNumber bigint) returns date
>> language java external name
>> 'DateFunctions.getDate'
>> parameter style java no sql;
> 0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
>
> ij>values getDate(123456789123456789);
> ERROR 42X50: No method was found that matched the method call
> DateFunctions.getDate(long), tried all combinations of object and primitive
> types and any possible type conversion for any  parameters the method call
> may have. The method might exist but it is not public and/or static, or the
> parameter types are not method invocation convertible.

Would be good if also the expected return type was included in the error
message here...

> ij>values getDate(Cast(123456789123456789 as bigint));
> ERROR 42X50:......
>
> ij>select s.schemaname, f.filename
>> from sys.sysschemas s, sys.sysfiles f
>> where s.schemaid=f.schemaid;
> SCHEMANAME | FILENAME

> APP |DATEFUNCTIONS

> 1 row selected
>
> Is there any way to verify, if the function is loaded and which parameters
> are expected ?

Not that I'm aware of, except for looking in the system tables. Anyone?

> Or what did I wrong ?

Sorry, I didn't think about the fact that you have to return a data type
that Derby can handle (SQL). These are described in the Reference Manual
under "Data types".

In this case, java.util.Date was specified, but one of java.sql.Date,
java.sql.Time or java.sql.Timestamp should be used.

I had no problems invoking the function when doing that. I didn't create
a Jar, just put the class on the classpath:

ij version 10.6
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:mydb;create=true';
ij> create function getDate(timeNumber bigint) returns date
 > language java external name
 > 'DateFunctions.getDate'
 > parameter style java no sql;
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted