db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Unexplained exception: temp file cannot be found
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 10:23:28 GMT
Tim Dudgeon wrote:
> Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
>>
>> It looks as if the creating of a temporary file failed. Does the path
>> exist
>> (C:\Users\Csizi\Documents\IJCProjects\ijc-project\.config\localdb\db\tmp),
>>
>> and if so, is it writable for this account?
>>
>> Dag
>>

> Yes, the user has confirmed that this directory does not now exist:
> C:\Users\Csizi\Documents\IJCProjects\ijc-project\.config\localdb\db\tmp
>
> but that its parent directory does exist, and does have write access
> (but this is Vista so strange things could be happening!).
>
> I would imagine that the tmp directory would be created automatically
> by Derby when it needed it. It is not normally present.

I think Derby will create the tmp directory when the database is booted.
Unless you have specified a different directory, it is called 'tmp' and
is located in the database directory (on the same level as 'seg0').
If you shut down the database properly (using 'shutdown=true' in the
connection URL), the directory will be deleted. If you don't properly
shut down the database, the tmp directory will be cleaned on the next boot.
This is what I see on my system.

> What would the cause of generating the temporary file?

For instance an external sort, or a 4KB+ Blob/Clob created with
Connection.create[BC]lob or modified through the java.sql.[BC]lob interface.
To be sure, make the lob a bit bigger :)

Since forcing an external sort requires a little more work, I'd go for
the lob approach to test this.

Regards,
--
Kristian