db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Can we do some kind of virtual path mapping with Network Server?
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 09:43:20 GMT
Daniel Noll wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> We have a setup where databases can basically be anywhere on the
> server (it's up to the user) and thus we cannot use derby.system.home
> to get relative paths.  To get around this we have gone with absolute
> paths, but absolute paths aren't so great either.
>
> Additionally I have been thinking it might be nice if you could
> selectively allow access to only some databases, such that they don't
> get started up (particular as Network Server doesn't shutdown the
> databases when users have stopped using them... which is another
> unrelated and annoying problem.)
>
> So I have been wondering, is there some API buried in there which I
> can use to map arbitrary paths from the client URL to arbitrary
> absolute paths on the other side?  This would effectively allow us to
> create a replacement for derby.system.home which can support multiple
> root directories, effectively merging together all these directories.

Hi Daniel,

Have you considered using symbolic links?
(btw, something to check out here is how Java security interacts with
symlinks)
Regarding disallowing access for selected databases, is using the access
rights mechanisms provided by the OS/file system an option?

I do realize there are limitations and challenges with the approach(es)...

--
Kristian