db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Can we do some kind of virtual path mapping with Network Server?
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 00:43:49 GMT
Hi all.

We have a setup where databases can basically be anywhere on the server
(it's up to the user) and thus we cannot use derby.system.home to get
relative paths.  To get around this we have gone with absolute paths,
but absolute paths aren't so great either.

Additionally I have been thinking it might be nice if you could
selectively allow access to only some databases, such that they don't
get started up (particular as Network Server doesn't shutdown the
databases when users have stopped using them... which is another
unrelated and annoying problem.)

So I have been wondering, is there some API buried in there which I can
use to map arbitrary paths from the client URL to arbitrary absolute
paths on the other side?  This would effectively allow us to create a
replacement for derby.system.home which can support multiple root
directories, effectively merging together all these directories.

Daniel