db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: The result offset and fetch first clauses
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 09:45:48 GMT
Geoff hendrey wrote:

> Get the result set. Use a loop to increment integer n by PAGE_SIZE,
> and inside the loop use ResultSet.absolute(n) combined with
> stmt.setFetchSize(1) to retrieve a "marker" row that signifies the
> begining of each "page" of the result set. I use the primary keys of
> these "markers" as page boundaries so that my web application can
> provide links to a set of pages evenly distributes throughout the
> result set.

I use something similar, except instead of traversing the entire result
set and storing keys for each 'page' I retain the keys of the first and
last rows in the current 'page'.  For subsequent fetches I use '>
lastKey ... order by ... asc' to scroll forwards and '< firstKey ...
order by ... desc' to scroll backwards.

I too would be interested to know how that approach compares to the new
offset/fetch clauses.

--
Alan Burlison