db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Geoff hendrey <geoff_hend...@yahoo.com>
Subject The result offset and fetch first clauses
Date Sat, 02 May 2009 20:22:21 GMT
Congratulations on implementing "The result offset and fetch first clauses". I'd be even more
excited if I hadn't just finished implementing this at the application-layer on top of derby
10.4, but hey, I'm happy to throw away my code now that derby has this internalized.

I have a couple questions before I throw away my code:

1) can I use this feature even if I am ordering on multiple columns?

2) what are the performance implications for users of the embedded driver? In particular,
with the embedded driver I am hoping that this feature allows portions of a result set to
be retrieved without the overhead of retrieving the entire result set. For example, if I have
a million rows in a product catalog, and a user of my web app wants to sort by product name
and jump to a particular portion of the result set, I was hoping this would be efficient in
your implementation.

If (2) is not efficient, how does it compare to the efficiency of the following approach:

Get the result set. Use a loop to increment integer n by PAGE_SIZE, and inside the loop use
ResultSet.absolute(n) combined with stmt.setFetchSize(1) to retrieve a "marker" row that signifies
the begining of each "page" of the result set. I use the primary keys of these "markers" as
page boundaries so that my web application can provide links to a set of pages evenly distributes
throughout the result set.

 -geoff
“XML? Too much like HTML. It'll never work on the Web!”
-anonymous