db-derby-user mailing list archives

From LeiLi <leile...@hotmail.com>
Subject How to check existing column size?
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 18:42:24 GMT

Hello,

I'm trying to insert data into a column named "HISTORY" ,but it complained
that :

ERROR 22001: A truncation error was encountered trying to shrink VARCHAR
'xxxxxxxx' to length 20.

then I tried to alter the column size to longer :
alter table myTABLE alter HISTORY set DATA TYPE varchar(40);
but it complained:
ERROR 42Z17: Invalid length specified for column 'HISTORY'. Length must be
greater than the current column length.

it seems that first it said the length is 20 ,then it's larger than 40?
so how can I know what's the current size of the column "HISTORY" and how
can I make it work?

Thanks a lot.

Lei