db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: FEHLER XJ001: Java-Ausnahme: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 18:34:38 GMT

Kathey, still with IBM? (Sorry, but your name seems familiar...)

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I just reread my post.

Did I insult the OP, or the query? Not that queries have feelings.

For all I know, the query wasn't written by the OP and that the OP was given
the task to port an application from Oracle to Derby and that they inherited
this garbage.

Do you think that the query is well written?
Do you think that joining 25 tables in a single join is a good idea?

Taking any ego/id or personality out of the equation, I did not just say
that they query was shit, but explained *why* it was shit. I would have gone
further in suggesting ways to rewrite the query, but I don't know the
business rules or what problem that the query was trying to solve. (Which is
why I asked.) The query as written was too convoluted and frankly I'm not
being paid to solve someone else's work.

If you want to play mom, then rather than chastise me for being blunt and to
the point, why don't you offer some assistance to the OP. She did ask for
help and frankly, just telling her that you confirmed the 'defect' and
telling her how to file a JIRA is really no help at all.

Perhaps you would have been less critical if I had said shite instead of
shit?

Frankly, my response to the OP was probably more beneficial than Kristian
telling her on how to file a JIRA report because it gave her some
suggestions about fixing her problem. But then again, I'm biased.

But hey!
My post was an attempt at trying to help the OP.
What's the value of yours?