db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Derby on Tomcat server keeps setting itself to read only
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:10:53 GMT
mattgaunt <matt.t.gaunt@gmail.com> writes:

> on database directory /home/matt/Sites/databases/wheretododb in READ ONLY

Did you verify that the user account running the web server (if
embedded Derby) or Derby server (if using client/server Derby) has
write and execute access to /home/matt/Sites/databases/wheretododb
(if it is a different user than the one who did the ij creation)?

To verify, you could connect to Derby from the same account as holds
the Web/Derby server with ij and see if you can perform modifications.

Once you perform a clean shutdown of Derby the should be no lock files
around. They are there to prevent more than one JVM booting Derby at
the same time. Their presence is usually an indication that a) a JVM
is running that has booted Derby, or b) such a JVM has crashed or
stopped without shutting down Derby. You can remove manually them if
no JVM is running.

Dag