db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Re: Question about file permission
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 21:46:48 GMT
Hello Jeff,
Just a small remark on your post. I do strongly believe this is UAC-related.
In Windows XP your applications can freely access files in their program
files folder as long as they are Administrators. In Windows Vista this
behavior changed and I can't think of any other reason than UAC. It was in
Windows Vista that I got the said symbolic link for the first time.

To further prove my point, I have an application that runs fine on any
XP-based system but it will crash under Vista, exactly because it tries to
create a file in its Program Files directory. While it may not be UAC
directly that is responsible for the symbolic link, I think it is safe to
say that UAC is responsible for the tightened access restrictions to the
Program Files folders.

Do note, I did not at any point in my previous post advocate the usage of
the Program Files directory as the databases folder; I do agree that for
cleanliness' sake there are alternatives in place that ought to be used
instead of Program Files (just like it thoroughly explains in the TechNet
link I also posted).

Tiago