db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Re: Question about file permission
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 20:55:11 GMT
Hello Eduardo,
Windows Vista is a tricky operating system because of its UAC feature. The
last time I had to fiddle with it, it seemed to have some sort of heuristics
that automagically moved files created by applications from their C:\Program
Files\<folder> into a folder that was accessible by your current user.

This feature seems to be pretty flawed though and it is recommended that if
you are planning on full Vista compatibility, that you pick a folder for
your databases that is accessible by the user who will use the application.

I believe that the way to go with this on Vista is through the roaming
folders ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489.aspx ).

>From Derby's perspective this is actually rather easy to achieve. You just
need to set the following property when starting Derby:
-Dderby.system.home=<directory_for_your_database>

Set it to a folder where the user actually has permissions and you should no
longer have an issue.

Hope it helps,
Tiago