db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Derby 10.4.2 NPE
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:41:38 GMT
Michael Bell wrote:
> Client/Server. Fairly clean (2 weeks old) DB.
> Simple query (shown in log below) produced error
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at java.io.StringReader.<init>(StringReader.java:33)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.uuid.BasicUUID.<init>(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.uuid.BasicUUIDFactory.recreateUUID(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.catalog.SYSSTATISTICSRowFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown
Source)

I haven't seen this before. Looks like your SYSSTATISTICS system catalog
got corrupted somehow, such that the row which described the statistics
for that particular index was damaged and had a NULL value for the internally-generated
UUID column in that row in the system catalog.

My guess is that dropping and re-creating the index has resolved the
problem, but it certainly would be interesting if you were able to
reproduce this problem.

thanks,

bryan