db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby Stored Procedure Help!
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:15:24 GMT
sivagururaja wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> But i can also try the ClientDriver. But nothing can be happened.
>
> Mr.Rick:
> Normally, database procedures use the special server-side connection url:
> "jdbc:default:connection". I know these two types of Derby Drivers,
> EmbeddedDriver and ClientDriver. Can you please tell me, what do you mean by
> special server-side connection url.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hello,

This is just the special string ("jdbc:default:connection") which tells
the DriverManager that your code is running inside a server session and
wants to get a handle on that session. A session has two pieces: 1) an
external piece which is visible to your application (this is the
Connection), and 2) an internal piece which is only visible inside
Derby. The two pieces talk to one another either via method calls (in
the embedded case) or over a network protocol (in the remote case). When
your database procedure is actually running inside Derby, you no longer
have a handle on the external piece. If you want to issue SQL statements
from inside a database procedure, then you need a special, thin wrapper
around (2). This thin wrapper is what I mean by the "server-side
connection".

Hope this helps,
-Rick