db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jørgen Løland <Jorgen.Lol...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: replication (again)
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:38:31 GMT
Brian Spindler wrote:
> We're using derby as embedded db.  I want to use replication however I'm
> having some trouble with the configuration.  I'm reading:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/adminguide/adminguide-single.html#c
> adminreplication
>

> and it indicates connecting to the database with certain attributes for
> configuring itself (i.e. startSlave=true & startMaster=true etc...).  It
> also indicates a procedure such that you have to freeze the database;
> start slave; start master (which will inevitably unfreeze and begin
> replication).  So with replication would this work:
>

> connect with ij tool
>
> freeze database
>
> shut down database/exit
>
> copy database to slave
>
> start slave
>
> start master with slaveHost=...
>

> Is that it?   I'm also getting a confusing error :
>

> Caused by: ERROR XRE08: Replication slave mode started successfully for
> database 'ndb'. Connection refused because the database is in
> replication slave mode.
>

> It says started "Successfully" but "Connection refused because db is in
> slave mode"

If you get this message on the slave, everything is as it should be. The
slave is now connected to the master. I suggest you try a few operations
on the master and then failover as described in the manual.

Regarding the error message: Derby either has to return a connection to
the database or throw an error.  As long as Derby acts as a slave for a
database, you are not allowed to connect to it. Hence the "error".

Derby has similar behavior for other operations performed through
connect. The exception thrown from a successful shutdown is a much used
example.

--
Jørgen Løland