db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ferenc <fer...@seemoredata.com>
Subject Looking for Debry SQL equivalent of REPLACE, TRANSLATE, etc.
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 04:19:40 GMT

Hi

I am new to Derby but a veteran with Oracle and Sql Server.

reading the reference guide for 10.4, I can't find references to:
- REPLACE
- TRANSLATE
- MonthName or something like the Sql Server DatePart or Oracle TO_CHAR
functions
- LPAD, RPAD
- INITCAP

We can create called formatting functions that we can apply to the data once
it is returned from the DB, but I would prefer to let the DB do this kind of
work.

Also, I notice there is the generic CASE statement, but no clear indication
of something like
 CASE {expression) when Value 1 then .... when Value2 ... else ..... end
Is this type of CASe statement supported?