db-derby-user mailing list archives

From sivagururaja <sivagurur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby Stored Procedure Help!
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:37:37 GMT

Hello All,

Can someone explain the below code,

Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:sample");
Statement s = conn.createStatement();
s.execute("set schema 'SAMP'");
//note that autocommit is on--it is on by default in JDBC
ResultSet rs = s.executeQuery("SELECT empno, firstnme, lastname, salary,
bonus, comm "
				 + "FROM samp.employee");
/** a standard JDBC ResultSet. It maintains a
  *  cursor that points to the current row of data. The cursor
  *  moves down one row each time the method next() is called.
  *  You can scroll one way only--forward--with the next()
  *  method. When auto-commit is on, after you reach the
  *  last row the statement is considered completed
  *  and the transaction is committed.
  */
System.out.println( "last name" + "," + "first name" + ": earnings");
/* here we are scrolling through the result set
with the next() method.*/
while (rs.next()) {
    // processing the rows
    String firstnme = rs.getString("FIRSTNME");
    String lastName = rs.getString("LASTNAME");
    BigDecimal salary = rs.getBigDecimal("SALARY");
    BigDecimal bonus = rs.getBigDecimal("BONUS");
    BigDecimal comm = rs.getBigDecimal("COMM");
    System.out.println( lastName + ", " + firstnme + ": "
                       + (salary.add(bonus.add(comm))));
}
rs.close();
// once we've iterated through the last row,
// the transaction commits automatically and releases
//shared locks
s.close();

The above code is from the following URL,
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/devguide/devguide-single.html#rdevconcepts88082