db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Nick Puz <nick.de...@me.com>
Subject Clean derby shutdown - shutdown a db so no recovery needed on startup
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:19:29 GMT
I've been doing performance evaluation of derby for a potential project (using dtrace on osx
and sun) and noticed that recovery is still run after doing what I thought was a clean shutdown.
I've stepped through derby10.4 (svn rev 751303) with java 6 and can see that recovery is being
run and the three operations being applied are: start tx, checkpoint, then endtx.

Attached is a test program and copy of the dtrace output (showing file operations). The test
program:
1)  opens a connection to the db then closes it.
2) shuts down the db by opening a connection with ";shutdown=true" added to the url.
3) prompts for input (to add spacing to dtrace output/ start tracing)
4) repeats steps 1 & 2 -- starts on line 236 of attached dtrace output.

Is there a way to close the DB to avoid the subsequent recovery actions on open? Not so much
the recovery (i understand it has to check on startup) but the write/fsync of the log, log.ctrl,
and logmirror.ctrl.

Thanks,
-Nick