Hi Walter,

You can also import data from a text file with comma-separated fields using Derby's SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_DATA() built-in procedure...

CREATE TABLE TAB1 (c1 VARCHAR(30), c2 INT)
CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_DATA (NULL, 'TAB1', null, null, 'myfile.del',null, null, null, 0)

With myfile.del containing data sych as:
Robert,1
Mike,2
Leo,3

More info at:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/tools/tools-single.html#ctoolsimport16245

You can also create a table out of another existing table and specify which (if not all) columns you want to have:
CREATE TABLE TAB1 AS SELECT c1, c2 FROM TAB3 WITH NO DATA;

You can find a list of Derby's SQL commands in the Reference guide:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/ref/ref-single.html

Cheers

--francois