Hi Kal,

I’ll check to see if I can find the code/process that I used back then to solve the issue. Since I only had one (remote) Derby installation causing problems, once I figured out the way to resolve the problem (drop & recreate index), I probably (1) used DBLook to identify the corrupt (missing) indexes, then used SQurilleL to (2) identify the names of the keys through the GUI, (3) write the DDL to drop and re-create the indexes.

You should be able to use JDBC to get the same index information and drop/create the index that way; however, the challenge is identifying the corrupt indices. Perhaps this might work?

Connection connection; // existing db connection

Statement statement = connection.createStatement();

try {

     // test table to confirm corrupt index: SQLException is thrown if corrupt

statement.executeQuery(“SELECT DeviceID, DeviceName, DeviceType FROM DeviceInfo WHERE DeviceID=1”);

} catch (SQLException ex) {

     // retrieve index information for the corrupt table

// http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/DatabaseMetaData.html#getIndexInfo(java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String, boolean, boolean)

     DatabaseMetaData databaseMetaData = conn.getMetaData();

     ResultSet resultSet = databaseMetaData.getIndexInfo(null, null, “DeviceInfo”, false, false);

     // for each index, drop & recreate the index

     while (resultSet.hasNext()) {

           // get the name of the

           String indexNameString = resultSet.getString(“INDEX_NAME”);

           statement.executeUpdate(“DROP INDEX ”+indexNameString+” ON DeviceInfo);

// recreate index: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/rrefsqlj20937.html

           statement.executeUpdate(“CREATE UNIQUE INDEX “+indexNameString+” ON DeviceInfo (DeviceID)”);

}

}

Thomas Taylor

INFOTECH Soft, Inc.