db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Matt Solnit <msol...@soasta.com>
Subject Unable to group by certain functions
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:22:28 GMT
Hi all.  I'm trying to use GROUP BY with Derby, and it looks like certain
functions work and certain ones don't.

For example, the following:

ij> CREATE TABLE foo (a INT);
ij> SELECT ABS(a) FROM foo GROUP BY ABS(a);

works fine.  But if I use CEIL or FLOOR, I get an error:

ij> SELECT CEIL(a) FROM foo GROUP BY CEIL(a);
ERROR 42Y30: The SELECT list of a grouped query contains at least one
invalid expression.
If a SELECT list has a GROUP BY, the list may only contain valid grouping
expressions and
valid aggregate expressions.

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I came across DERBY-592
(JDBC-escaped functions) and I'm wondering if this is part of the issue.

Am I doing something incorrectly, or is this a bug?

-- Matt