db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Lucene integration
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:49:52 GMT
Geoff hendrey wrote:
> Interesting. I am reviewing the JavaDocs.
>
> I am concerned that transactional integrity might not be an important
> requirement. That probably will raise the hackles of database experts
> like the Derby team, but I would prefer a non-transactional support
> for Lucene-derby integration.
Thanks, Geoff. I think that a successful feature needs a real user like you.

> Please consider the following things I would like:
>
>    1. ability to search an entire *row* as a document, not a
>       column-as-document model

OK. This makes sense to me. Each column would be a Lucene field, if I am
understanding the terms correctly.

>    1. ability to "look back in time" and see old versions of rows

This is interesting. What would you like the key to be? A two part
invention composed of the table's primary key plus a timestamp?
Something else?

What about aborted changes? Would you be happy with a solution which
recorded index entries for changes which were subsequently discarded
because, say, an INSERT integrity violation rolled back a transaction to
the savepoint laid down before the INSERT ran?

Thanks,
-Rick