db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Lucene integration
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:47:18 GMT
Hi Geoffrey,

I'm on the road right now but I'd like to make some suggestions after I
gather my thoughts and get over my jet lag. I think that it is
definitely possible to hook into the query processing layer in order to
fork the tuple stream so that a listener process can populate the Lucene
indexes. I think that scraping the replication log stream would raise a
lot of issues around when work is really committed vs. when savepoints
are rolled back, and I would recommend against that approach.

Regards,
-Rick

Geoffrey Hendrey wrote:
> Ok, well on to plan B then. Is there some stage in the preparation of inserts, updates,
and deletes at which the logical identity of a row is established? That could be a good place
to provide a lucene hook, or a more general interceptor.

> On Mar 18, 2009, at 6:55 AM, Jørgen Løland <Jorgen.Loland@Sun.COM> wrote:
>
> Geoff hendrey wrote:
> I've been folowing knuts pointers and reading the docs on the classes that marshal themselves
over the wire via their writeObject method.
> So, question about this:
> "Type=update, Table=employee, Page=4321, Index=4, field 3=50000"
> Does the page and index, collectively, constitute a "row ID".
> If it is always a constant, than these three field are sufficient to permanently identify
the row, and we can use that information to consititute a document ID in lucene.